Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wakadoo, muskrats, and Patti Smith

Kids are people, too. Could a television show in the 70s make you feel validated and important? This show thought so. Remember the theme song yet? I believe Wakadoo was the show's mascot dog.

I remember being desperately sick with a stomach virus and watching an episode on our black and white portable TV in which Maureen McGovern sang "The Morning After," and life seemed impossibly sad. Hey...I was sick, okay?

The show attracted some interesting and surprisingly big stars, including Kiss. And Patti Smith. Really. Nothing says "role model for kids" like barfing blood onstage and angry punk screaming. Oh, and Patti Smith sang "You Light Up my Life." Click here if you don't believe me. Patti turns corn syrup into wine on national TV. You absolutely must listen.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the musical coolness spectrum, here the show's house band, Special Delivery, joins Captain & Tenielle for a rousing rendition of one of the most fetid songs ever, "Muskrat Love." Note that Tenielle sings the song with sincerity and tenderness toward the twirling muskrats. Touching, really. If you can watch all of that clip, you have a stronger stomach than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Comments are moderated (the lawyers make us say that).