Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pacific coast vacation, 70s style

I've been on vacation this week, and I've been thinking about the first vacation  I remember.

About 1976, we piled into the car, probably my mother's red 1967 Mustang and headed out to Copalis, Washington. That's basically the middle of nowhere on the Washington coast. If you haven't been to the Washington coast, I must tell you that it can get incredibly gloomy and stormy out there--which, sorry to say, sometimes fits my moods. Copalis is a great place to watch the Pacific storms come through in, say, early November.

Meanwhile, back on that long ago trip, my grandparents followed us in their car and they stayed in the room next door to my parents and me. You know those very-low-rent beachy motels that are inevitably named something like "The Lamplighter" or "The Windjammer" or "The Sandpiper?" Well, this motel was one of those. Amazingly, 35+ years later, it's still there. And they even have a website. Click below.

http://lindaslowtidemotel.com/photos.html

I think that's the same wood paneling that was there when I was little. I remember thinking it was cool that the refrigerator was in the bathroom. Did I mention this was not the Westin?

To commemorate the trip, my parents bought my brother and I each a stuffed Dachshund; one said WASHINGTON on its side, and the other said OREGON. I still have those dogs and will try to get a picture of them for you.

1 comment:

  1. LBHG, I think all those pictures on that website are from the 70's. Unless children still play by the beach in plaid shorts. Awww, it makes me want my yellow plastic shovel and red plastic bucket back.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Comments are moderated (the lawyers make us say that).