Monday, April 9, 2012

Get back in the kitchen, little girl

I'm not kidding when I say that this board game involved giving little girls household tasks to do. Really. That is all the game did. And yet somehow, I loved it. Note that it was called "Mother's Helper."


I'm gobsmacked by how sexist this is. The cards order the players to "Pick up toy in children's room upstairs" and "Mother wants the newspaper in the living room." Maybe this game was supposed to help create obedient little children running around the house doing chores. Or maybe the aim was more sinister and patriarchal. Or authoritarian. Or sadistic. I have no idea.

Can you imagine this selling at all today?

Thanks to Online Commons and The Strong for the image above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Comments are moderated (the lawyers make us say that).