Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Sears canopy bed, 1976-style


When I was seven or eight,  I mentioned casually to my grandparents that I wanted a canopy bed. On my next birthday, one magically appeared in my bedroom. (The pic above includes my dear friend, Kelly Knight, who did not magically appear with the bed. But this was the only pic of my bed I could find, so I hope she forgives me for publishing her picture. Hi, Kelly, wherever you are!)

Talk about a bed making a little girl feel like a princess. I even made the bed and put the stuffed animals in the same places every day.

This Sears commercial features a similar bed frame in white, but it's a bit later, I think.

5 comments:

  1. I always wondered about the purpose of a canopy bed? Seriously, is it supposed to keep the harmful UV rays of the sun out? I think I have a better chance of understanding the meaning of life than the meaning of the canopy bed. I'm just saying some inventions are odd:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I was just trying to show my daughter what my childhood bedding looked like and came across this post. I had exactly the same thing!! My canopy bed was white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the white version with the same bedding. Incredibly excited to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the colors in the afghan perfectly match the same colors in the bedspread. One of my friends had this beadspread, but I don't remember if she had a canopy or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I had the white frame with the yellow gingham canopy & spread. I had the same sheets as your bedding...still have them! And my Holly Hobbie sheets. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Comments are moderated (the lawyers make us say that).