Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dearly departed deliciousness: Carnation Breakfast Bars


Dry and crumbly on the inside; sweet and chemical-tasting on the outside: Carnation Breakfast Bars, I miss you desperately.

Because vitamins were added to you, we believed you were healthy. Sugar and hydrogenated oils? Of course--but you were healthier than a candy bar or a Pop Tart, so Mom felt good about giving you to us. Why, you even had granola, which was the healthiest thing around because the hippies ate it.

If Carnation ever makes you again, o delicious, foil-wrapped, vitamin-packed, artificially tasty wonder, I'll be the first in line to buy you.

3 comments:

  1. I loved these bars!! You serious that they don't make these anymore!! I think they led the way to Clif Bars and all the rest of the health food bar movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss these so much! I had a paper route as a kid and these bars were the quick breakfast that tasted weird but great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bars were the BEST. They really, really were... I can remember their taste exactly! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Comments are moderated (the lawyers make us say that).